Embrace the Fluffy Butt! If you just started cloth diapering you may have noticed that your baby’s cloths fit a little more snug than with disposable diapers. This is what we refer to as the fluffy butt or fluffy bum. The fluffier the better! You can even find contests by different retailers to see who can take the picture with the fluffiest bum.
The facts behind the fluffy butt:
- Newborns and infants experience the fluffy butt worse than toddlers, especially if you are using a one-sized diaper (one size diapers fit from infant – toddler).
- Fitted (or sized) diapers are trimmer than one-sized diapers.
- Hemp and bamboo inserts are trimmer than microfiber.
- You actually WANT a bigger butt during naps and nighttime – some people even double stuff (or triple) their pocket diapers for more absorbency for those heavy wetters.
- Clothes won’t fit the same with a fluffy butt.
A note about the way the clothes fit with the fluffy butt. Pants will always be snug – especially denim. Onesies will never fit just right and you may have to go up to a larger size to fit over the fluffy butt. Many parents embrace the fluffy butt and instead of covering the butt they show it off. After all we’re quite proud of our fluff and we want the world to know all about cloth diapers. For romping around the house all you really need is a cute t-shirt and maybe a pair of leg warmers if it’s chilly. They even make leg warmers for the little boys!
I’ve got it pretty easy with fashion because living in Florida with (almost) year round summer we don’t need heavy clothes and my little girl lives in dresses. We only have to worry about fitting the fluffy butt for a few months. We look for jogging pants, sweat pants, or knits over denim because they fit much better.
Updated 2014: A lot has changed since we were cloth diapering our little one! One of the coolest changes is a new line of jeans, pants and shorts made to fit over cloth diapers! Check out Project Pomona and their pomona pants. To read more about Pomona’s: http://www.theecochic.com/2012/05/17/project-pomona/ You can find a variety of Pomona’s at Kelly’s Closet —> Shop for Pomona Pants
Are you an experienced cloth diaper user? What tips can you give newbies on how to embrace the fluffy bum? Leave you comments below.
Looking for cloth diapering resources and tips? Visit my cloth diapering archives, follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and on Pinterest.
Subscribe to new posts via your favorite RSS Feed Reader or by Email.