Giveaway alert! One lucky reader will take home their very own Sage Diaper, details at the end of the post. Giveaway closed. Congrats Cinella – please watch your email!
Diaper Brand: Sage Diaper (Formerly known as Diaperaps, a 25 year old cloth diapering company) – Made in the USA
While I like to consider myself very knowledgeable in the cloth diapering industry the truth is that I only know about what’s popular at the moment. I’m slowly learning about the history of cloth diapers and I found a recent article by Autumn Beck (All About Cloth Diapers Blog) very insightful. Since Autumn did such a wonderful job with the history of Sage Diaper I won’t try to recreate the story – but I will give you my review of their newly released diapering systems.
First up is their Sure Fit™ Pocket Diapers. I received a Pink Blossom Sure Fit which is a nice pale pink that is similar in color to the bumGenius Blossom. The Sure Fit is available in two sizes – Size 1 (5-20 lbs) and Size 2 (18-40 lbs). The Sure Fit is a side snapping diaper and the snaps are are a nice chocolate brown color. Another great feature is the elastic that they have placed in the front of the diaper (at the waist) to keep the diaper snug and prevent those ‘front sleeper’ leaks. The insert that I received was their Snap It insert in Hemp and Organic Cotton - a double layer – that snaps into the back with 2 snaps on the insert which can then be stuffed inside the pocket. For those mama’s with boys – the Sure Fit is also available in Blue Cloud, a nice pale blue color. Retail price: $18.50
Next on the list is their One Step™ System. I received a Jade One Step diaper, a nice teal/jade green color one-sized diaper with Velcro closure. The cover is much thinner because the Snap It simply snaps into the back of the diaper without any pocket for stuffing. This simple all-in-two (AI2) system can extend the life of cover because you just snap in a new insert and reuse the cover again. (This is not a perfect system and sometimes the cover does get wet or soiled.) The One Step is available in Jade, Pink Gem, Blue Star, and Vanilla colors. Retail price: an awesome $15.95
Now that I’ve gotten all of the details I guess you want to know what I think of my Sage Diapers, right?
- Side snaps are not my favorite but I’m certainly getting the hang of it (similar to Knickernappies and BabyKicks). They do make it more difficult for your tot to remove and actually make the diaper slim and trim in the front.
- The Velcro on the One Step is not my favorite either. It seemed a little weak to me and never stays closed in the dryer. Even when I attach it on my baby the corners of the waist tabs curl out and provide my tot with a ‘toy’ to play with making removal quite easy.
- Now most of my stash consists of pockets and I’ve never had any problems with the inserts flipping inside the pocket – I can’t understand why there is a need for snaps on the insert of a pocket. Just my opinion.
- I like the Snap It insert in hemp and organic cotton terry – and the double layer ensures maximum absorbency.
If I were going to buy a Sage Diaper I would personally prefer the Sure Fit pocket. However, if you are on a budget the One Step is a good bargain and can also be used as a cover for your prefolds. And if you are lucky enough to NOT soak or soil your Open Step cover you can reuse it again and again in the day – saving you a TON! While it’s not one of my ‘Top 5″ diapers it’s a reasonably priced cloth diaper and survived the night of a toddler fest – a passing grade in my book.
Buy It: Sage Diaper just announced a GRAND OPENING special on their Facebook page today. Use coupon code SD20 and save 20% off your purchases through October 4th, 2010. With a savings like that I would HAVE to try at least one Sage Diaper.
Win It: One lucky reader will get to take home their very own Sage Diaper by completing the following actions between now and October 15, 2010.
Mandatory steps – Leave a comment on this post and tell me which Sage Diaper you would like to win. Also go visit the Sage Mama blog post, Introducing Sage Diaper, and leave any comment there. Both steps are mandatory to be entered into the giveaway.
Bonus steps -
1) Sign up for the Sage Diaper newsletter. (One bonus entry – leave a comment below)
2) Visit Sage Diaper on Facebook – if you like what you see then ‘Like’ them. (One bonus entry – leave a comment below)
3) While you are on Facebook check out The Eco Chic and Eco Chic Parties and tell me if you ‘Like’ them too! (One bonus entry – leave a comment below)
4) Share this contest with your friends on Twitter up to 5 times a day, just be sure to include a link back here along with @TheEcoChic in your tweets! (Earn a max of five bonus entries for tweeting per day)
Rules: Follow the steps above between now and October 15, 2010. Open to residents of the US who are over the age of 18 yrs.
Disclosure: I received both diapers that were reviewed in this post from Sage Diaper. The opinions in this review are my own and your results may vary.
Looking for cloth diapering resources and tips? Visit my cloth diapering archives, follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and on Pinterest.
Subscribe to new posts via your favorite RSS Feed Reader or by Email.